by Rev. Michael Mudgett
MarchWHAT’S HOT: A couple things are hot ….
- Lunch&Learn: This is a new resource from the Presbytery office. We are featuring hosted lunches with speakers to address topics of interest to our churches. Rosalind Ziccardi is graciously volunteering her time to oversee these Lunch&Learns. Our first one is this month, March 23, 2017 (Thursday), from 11:00 - 1:00 p.m., at Solana Beach Pres, Room 101. Our speaker will be Sandee Rugg, an expert in HR matters, and she will be addressing hot topic areas that are ripe for litigation. So, let’s avoid the pitfalls, and learn how to do things right in the areas of hiring, management, and termination. I hope you’ll find these helpful. We have a second Lunch&Learn lined up for Wednesday, June 7, with a topic of Communications, Media, and PR in the church context. More info to follow on that one, but do mark your calendars for our first L&L on March 23rd.
- Invitation: Gather with churches in our Presbytery who want to serve their communities by building and renovating properties. Theses churches are exploring a partnership with Habitat4Humanity. This is a grass roots movement in the very beginning stage. Representatives gathered in January to explore possibilities and decided to meet again to continue the discussion. This second meeting will be held on Monday, March 27th, at 7:00pm at Northminster Pres. Representatives from your church are invited to attend. Hope to see you there.
- Special prayer request: I just spoke with Pastor John Powell. He was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and underwent surgery. The pathology report is: stage III that has metastasized into the lymph nodes. He’s fine with me asking all of us to keep him and his family in our prayers. He seemed humbly appreciative.
- Transitions: Dr. Chris Lenocker is currently serving as interim head of staff at Point Loma Community Presbyterian Church. Rev. Katie Pazan was ordained as co-pastor of First Pres Brawley at an ordination ceremony at The Village Community Presbyterian Church on March 13th. Rev. Eileen Moran received a call from Christ Pres La Costa. She will be ordained at La Jolla Presbyterian Church on April 2nd.
- Plan to retire in the next 15 years? This conference may be of interest to you. There is a 2-day, no cost (except for meals), Board of Pensions conference called “Growing into Tomorrow Today”, April 18-19, at the Redwood Terrace, 710 W. 13th Ave., Escondido, CA. For more information and to register, go to: Growing-Into-Tomorrow-Today (or, go to pensions.org and put “Growing Into Tomorrow Today” in the search box).
- 1001 New Worshipping Communities: There is a regional gathering of NWC on April 8, 2017, from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. (on-site registration at 8:30 a.m.), at Placentia Presbyterian Church, 849 Bradford Avenue, Placentia, CA. Speakers include: Sean Chow, Western Regional Associate for 1001 NWC; Nick Warnes, Cyclical and Northland Village Church; Adel Malek, Arabic Fellowship, and more. Register on line at: http://pcusa.org/1001LA. Questions? Email email@example.com
- Canoeing the Mountains Seminar: Though not a Presbytery event, it looks like something several of you may be interested in attending. Flourish San Diego is hosting Tod Bolsinger for a Transformational Leadership Lunch and a Canoeing the Mountains seminar, on June 1, 2017. For more information and on line registration go to flourishsandiego.org. There is a discount for early bird registration by April 15.