The Committee on Preparation for Ministry (CPM) seeks to guide you through the process of becoming a Teaching Elder in the PC(USA). You will need to follow this process and expect for the following items to be completed.
- A Masters of Divinity degree from an approved Seminary including Greek and Hebrew, and courses in PC(USA) polity, reformed worship, and theology.
- A year long internship with a church different from the one you may be working in. (See Reference 6)
- A Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) consisting of 400 hours in a credentialed setting.
- A psychological assessment. (See Reference 3b)
- Passing all five ordination exams – Be a member of a PC(USA) congregation in the San Diego Presbytery for at least 6 months prior to initiating this process.